We carry out our mission to the university committed to these values:
- Service: The principle of assisting others who need our help and the setting aside of our individual needs to accomplish our goal.
- Innovation: The commitment to generating and discovering new ideas and processes through creative inquiry.
- Respect: Treating all individuals with courtesy and dignity.
- Integrity: Our duties are performed with the utmost honesty, consistency of character and ethical standards.
- Diversity: The acceptance and appreciation of the differences in culture, thought, and experiences of all individuals and to integrate those differences in all we do.
- Minimum age 21
- Valid unrestricted Ohio driver’s license upon appointment
- High school degree or equivalent (60 semester college credit hours or equivalent quarter credit hours of documented college course work is strongly preferred)
- Must successfully complete medical/visual, psychological, physical performance evaluations, polygraph, and drug screen
- No conviction record for felony, drug- or sex-related crimes
- Current Ohio Peace Officer certification (Trainee candidates will attend academy post hire)
*Applies to Columbus Campus only.
Benefits & Salaries
Outstanding Medical & Retirement Options
- Comprehensive medical coverage with choice of care providers
- Dental, Vision and Prescription Drug coverage for staff and dependents
- A variety of life insurance options for employees, same-sex domestic partners/spouses and their dependents
- Enrollment in either the Ohio Public Employees Retirement System (OPERS) or the Alternative Retirement Plan (ARP)
Continue Your Education
- The university pays 100 percent of the Instructional, General and non-Ohio resident fees for employees to take up to 10 credit hours per semester. The university pays 50 percent of the undergraduate level Instructional and General fees for eligible dependents.
Paid Leave Benefits
- Ten paid holidays annually
- 120 hours of sick leave and 80 hours of vacation annually
Support Athletic Events
- Eligibility for admission to home athletic events
Benefits listed above are not all inclusive. Subject to change without notice. For detailed information regarding university benefit plans, see the Office of Human Resources web page at hr.osu.edu/benefits.
Rates as of September 2022. Excludes additional incentives and shift differential. Years of service from other agencies are transferrable.
- Trainees - $47,902
- Year 1 - $68,266
- Year 2 - $72,842
- Year 3 - $81,994
- Year 4 - $93,246
- After 5 years - $106,101
Physical Fitness Standards
Career Opportunity Notifications
E-mail Kurt Farnsworth to have your name added to our police career opportunities notification list.