The Department of Public Safety at Ohio State is operated by a large team of dedicated workers who ensure the university remains safe during all times of the year. If you would like to join the DPS team, search for open positions below.
Are you interested in a career in law enforcement? Read additional details about becoming a university police officer.
Students are a key part of our task force for keeping campus safe. If you would like to join the DPS team, search for open positions below.
- Candidates must be enrolled at The Ohio State University, not possess a criminal record, and have a good driving history to be eligible for employment.
- Candidates must have a current driver's license and at least 1 year of U.S. driving experience.
- Please make sure you have a driver's license and either a birth certificate, social security card, or passport on hand if you are selected to come in for paperwork. The documents are needed to successfully complete the federally required I-9 packet.
Paid Student Internship with OSUPD
The Ohio State University Police Division is seeking an Ohio State student to fill a paid internship role within the Investigative Services Unit. The internship has two openings, one for the autumn semester and another for the spring semester, paying $9/hour. This internship will provide students with experience in criminal investigations, crime analysis, and community policing. The intern will be provided with opportunities for career development, personal development, networking, and general knowledge of police operations.
Experience Gained with Internship
Interns will gain the experience within the six main sections identified below:
- Crime Prevention – Interact with the community to build relationships.
- Investigation Process – Work with investigators in crime scene processing, report writing, background investigations, and interview participation.
- Records Office Process – Work with the Records Technician on requests, citations, dispositions, CLERY, and federal reports.
- Property Management – Work with the property coordinator in property life-cycle, submission, presentation, and court-ordered destruction.
- Court Process – Work with Court Officer in charges submission, indictments, pretrial, and trial.
- Police Patrol Functions – Conduct a ride-along with an OSUPD Officer and learn the functions of patrol work.
The candidate must ...
- be punctual, highly organized, and detail-oriented along with possessing integrity, maturity, and a positive demeanor
- provide a demonstrated commitment to helping others and a sensitivity to diversity
- be enrolled as a student with The Ohio State University with a minimum GPA of 2.5 or higher on a 4.0 scale (upper classmen and individuals pursuing law enforcement careers preferred
- sign a notice of non-disclosure agreement and pass a limited background check
- possess strong communication skills
- possess skills in Microsoft Office applications
Location and Hours
The expected time commitment for interns is 10 hours per week primarily between 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. Monday-Friday, but specifics will be arranged by the candidate and the internship supervisor. Hours may be adjusted dependent on duties that may arise.
All internship hours will be based at the Police Division headquarters:
901 Woody Hayes Dr.
Columbus, Ohio 43210