The Department of Public Safety at Ohio State is operated by a large team of dedicated workers who ensure the university remains safe during all times of the year. If you would like to join the DPS team, search for open positions below.
Are you interested in a career in law enforcement? Read additional details about becoming a university police officer.
Students are a key part of our task force for keeping campus safe. If you would like to join the DPS team, search for open positions below.
Submitting an Application
- Please fill out the form and select “Print.” Under printer options select “Adobe PDF” or “PDF." Save the file to a folder you can find again easily. Attach and email the completed PDF file to firstname.lastname@example.org. Resumes and cover letters may be included but are not required.
- Please note, if you use the “Save As” option, you will lose all of your completed information and we will receive a blank form. You must use the “Print” option instead.
- Application signatures will be obtained in person during interviews.
- Applications alsoare available at Blankenship Hall.
- Candidates must be currently enrolled at The Ohio State University, not possess a criminal record, and have a good driving history to be eligible for employment.
- Candidates must have a current driver's license and at least 1 year of U.S. driving experience.
- Please make sure you have a driver's license and either a birth certificate, social security card, or passport on hand if you are selected to come in for paperwork. The documents are needed to successfully complete the federally required I-9 packet.
Paid Student Internship with OSUPD
The Ohio State University Police Division is seeking an Ohio State student to fill a paid internship role within the Investigative Services Unit. The internship has two openings, one for the Autumn semester and another for the Spring semester, paying $9.00/hour. This internship will provide students with experience in criminal investigations, crime analysis, and community policing. The intern will also be provided with opportunities for career development, personal development, networking, and general knowledge of police operations.
Experience Gained with Internship
Interns will gain the experience within the six main sections identified below:
- Crime Prevention – Interact with the community to build relationships.
- Investigation Process – Work with investigators in crime scene processing, report writing, background investigations, and interview participation.
- Records Office Process – Work with the Records Technician on requests, citations, dispositions, CLERY, and federal reports.
- Property Management – Work with the property coordinator in property life-cycle, submission, presentation, and court ordered destruction.
- Court Process – Work with Court Officer in charges submission, indictments, pretrial, and trial.
- Police Patrol Functions – Conduct a ride-along with an OSUPD Officer and learn the functions of patrol work.
The candidate must be punctual, highly organized, and detail-oriented along with possessing integrity, maturity, and a positive demeanor. The candidate must provide a demonstrated commitment to helping others and a sensitivity to diversity. The candidate must also meet the specific qualifications listed below:
- The candidate must be enrolled as a student with The Ohio State University
- Upperclassmen preferred
- Individuals interested in pursuing law enforcement based careers preferred
- The candidate must currently possess a minimum GPA of 2.5 or higher on a 4.0 scale
- The candidate must sign a notice of non-disclosure agreement
- The candidate must pass a limited background check
- The candidate must possess strong communication skills
- The candidate must possess skills in Microsoft Office applications
Locations/Hours of Internship
The expected time commitment for interns is 10 hours per week primarily between 8:00am-5:00pm Monday-Friday, but specifics will be arranged by the candidate and the internship supervisor. Hours may be adjusted dependent on duties that may arise.
All internship hours will be based at the Police Division headquarters:
901 Woody Hayes Dr.
Columbus, Ohio 43210
Instructions to Apply
To apply for this position, please submit the required documents to Captain Dave Rose at:
901 Woody Hayes Dr.
Columbus, Ohio 43210
- Cover Letter
- Application (when specifying which position you are applying for, check the "other" box and write in "OSUPD Internship")
- References/Letters of Recommendation