With a Virtual Guardian, You’re Not Alone.
Rave Guardian allows you to select friends or family as a virtual guardian to follow you via GPS tracking, using a destination-based timer. If time expires, your virtual guardian will be alerted and encouraged to make appropriate follow-up. Rave Guardian also includes faster delivery of Buckeye Alerts and safety notices via push-notifications. Download "Rave Guardian" today.
Using Rave Guardian Safety Timers
- The Rave Guardian app is available to download for all students, faculty and staff signed up for Buckeye Alerts.
- Once inside the Rave Guardian app, click on the safety timer.
- Enable location and notification services so that your guardian can locate you.
- Select your guardian from your contact list.
- Add information you want your guardian to know about your trip (ie. where you are going, if you are stopping along the way, who you might be visiting).
- Adjust the timer slider to your estimated travel time.
- Click “confirm your trip.” This will activate the timer and send a text message to your guardian to request that they follow you during your trip.
- Deactivate the timer when your trip is complete.
Who can use the service?
- The Rave Guardian app is available to download for students, faculty and staff with a university username and password (name.#) who have signed up for Buckeye Alerts.
Does my guardian need to download the Rave Guardian App?
- No. They will be sent a text message with a web link to monitor your safety timer.
Can I add more time to the safety timer?
- Yes, you can add 5 minute increments to your trip time.
Can I complete a trip early?
- Yes. Be sure to deactivate the session when you arrive at your destination safely.
What happens if I do not deactivate my safety timer?
- If time expires, your guardian will be alerted and encouraged to make appropriate follow-up.
What should I do in case of an emergency?
- You may active the duress button on the safety timer or call 9-1-1.
Do you archive my travel history?
- No. GPS data is only available during active session and is not stored.
What Will My Guardian See?
- Once you “confirm your trip,” your guardian will receive a text message requesting them to follow you.
- Once they agree, they will see a view of your walking path and a safety timer countdown.
- They will receive a notification when you deactivate the timer. If time expires, your guardian will be alerted and encouraged to make appropriate follow-up.
- If you see something, say something: report suspicious behavior to University Police (614-292-2121) or off-campus Columbus Police (614-645-4545). Always dial 9-1-1 in emergencies.
- Increase your overall safety by being cautious and looking out for one another.
- Be alert and make smart choices when traveling.
- Be aware of your surroundings and look assertive.
- Walk with a trusted friend or co-worker, when possible, especially at night.
- Utilize transportation services, like the free Campus Area Bus Service (CABS). Track CABS in real-time via the Ohio State app. Students also have access to the Central Ohio Transit Authority (COTA) bus system. In addition, Lyft Ride Smart at Ohio State offers late-night ridesharing for students.
- Review these safety tips for additional information.