Have a safe and happy holiday season. If you travel, or are away from your campus or off-campus residence this holiday season, please take steps to keep your valuables secure. Lock doors and windows and consider using safety light timers. Record serial numbers of devices, or just take valuables with you.
If items are missing when you return, report it to police. Call University Police (on-campus) at 614-292-2121 or off-campus Columbus Police at 614-645-4545.
Additional tips on what to do before leaving an off-campus residence unoccupied include:
- Picking up and installing complimentary door and window alarms and light timers provided by Willie J. Young, Sr. Off-Campus and Commuter Student Engagement.
- Closing and locking all windows, which can help prevent break-ins and cold air from getting in.
- Ensuring the home is properly heated to avoid pipes freezing.
- Removing anything of value from inside a car that is left at the residence and locking the doors.
- Taking in mail or packages, and putting mail on hold via the U.S. Postal Service to prevent deliveries from piling up.
These simple steps could keep your holiday happy and safe. For additional safety resources, please visit dps.osu.edu/resources.