Public Safety Notice - Columbus
Dear Ohio State Community Member:
You are receiving this notice because a crime has occurred that is considered to be of a concern and/or a continuing threat to the campus community.
The purpose of this message is to heighten your safety awareness by providing community members with information necessary to take appropriate precautions, enable you to take actions to help increase your safety, and to aid in the prevention of similar crimes.
This notice does not mean there has been an increase in crime or that any specific crime pattern exists.
On 9/6/15, at approximately 1:50 a.m., a male Ohio State student reported that he and a friend were approached by four black males at the corner of W 11th Ave. and College Rd. One of the four men asked to use a cell phone. When the victim refused, suspect No. 1 struck him on the head and knocked him to the ground. Suspect No. 2 took his cell phone and the four suspects fled east bound on W 11th Ave. The same four suspects were reported to be seen 10 minutes later driving an older model navy blue SUV, possibly a Ford Explorer, with elevated suspension. The victim sustained minor injuries. The campus community should remain vigilant and report any known details to OSU Police at 614-292-2121.Suspect Descriptions:
- Suspect 1: Black male approx. 18 yrs. old, standing 6 feet 0 inches with a thin build. Wearing a white t-shirt and saggy blue jeans with dreadlocks.
- Suspect 2: Black male approx. 18 yrs. old, standing 6 feet 0 inches with a thin build. Short hair, wearing a red t-shirt and blue jean shorts.
- Suspect 3: Black male approx. 18 yrs. old with short hair.
- Suspect 4: Black male approx. 18 yrs. old with short hair.
We remind you to increase your overall safety by being cautious and looking out for one another; being aware of your surroundings and looking assertive; walking with a trusted friend or co-worker, when possible; if a situation makes you feel uncomfortable or unsafe, choose an alternative. Please utilize transportation services, when possible, and take advantage of our additional safety resources, such as the student escort service: http://www.ps.ohio-state.edu/sss/escort_info/
Anyone with information concerning this crime should contact either the University Police, 614-292-2121 or Columbus Police, 614-645-4545. You may also report information anonymously to the Central Ohio Crime Stoppers at 614-461-TIPS or the University Crime Stoppers Tips line at 614-247-TIPS.
For information about safety on Ohio State's campus visit the following links:
- The Ohio State University Department of Public Safety http://dps.osu.edu
- Lyft Ride Smart at Ohio State https://ttm.osu.edu/ride-smart
- Safety Tips http://dps.osu.edu/safety-tips
- Police Division Daily Crime Log http://dps.osu.edu/daily-crime-log
- Public Safety Notices http://dps.osu.edu/psn
For information about crime off campus, review the Columbus Police website at https://www.columbus.gov/police. Helpful links are listed as: Crime Information, Crime Prevention, Offense Reports, and Media Releases.
This Public Safety Notice is issued in compliance with the "Timely Warning" provisions of the federal Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act of 1998. 34 CFR 668.46(e)