Public Safety Notice - Columbus
Dear Ohio State Community Member:
You are receiving this notice because a crime has occurred that is considered to be of a concern and/or a continuing threat to the campus community.
The purpose of this message is to heighten your safety awareness by providing community members with information necessary to take appropriate precautions, enable you to take actions to help increase your safety, and to aid in the prevention of similar crimes.
This notice does not mean there has been an increase in crime or that any specific crime pattern exists.
On 7/21/15 into 7/22/15, between 10:52 p.m. and 12:34 a.m., three robberies similar in nature occurred in the immediate off-campus area. All three robberies involved three male suspects.
- At 10:52 p.m., three suspects assaulted a male victim near 122 E. 6th Avenue, stealing personal property and fleeing in a vehicle.
- At 11:39 p.m., two suspects showed a gun and took personal property from another victim near 116 E. Woodruff Avenue.
- At 12:34 a.m., three suspects assaulted a third victim near 190 E. 13th Avenue taking a wallet.
In addition, in the early morning hours on 7/21/15 three additional robberies occurred which could be related (E. 16th Avenue & Pearl Alley, 200 block of E. Norwich Avenue, and Northwood & Indianola Avenue). None of the victims were seriously injured, but we ask that our campus community take extra precautions and look out for one another. Anyone with information regarding these crimes is encouraged to call Columbus Police at 614-645-4545 or OSU Police at 614-292-2121.
As always, you can increase your overall safety by being cautious and looking out for one another; being aware of your surroundings and looking assertive; walking with a trusted friend or co-worker, when possible; if a situation makes you feel uncomfortable or unsafe, choose an alternative; utilizing campus transportation and safety resources.
Anyone with information concerning this crime should contact either the University Police, 614-292-2121 or Columbus Police, 614-645-4545. You may also report information anonymously to the Central Ohio Crime Stoppers at 614-461-TIPS or the University Crime Stoppers Tips line at 614-247-TIPS.
For information about safety on Ohio State's campus visit the following links:
- The Ohio State University Department of Public Safety http://dps.osu.edu
- Lyft Ride Smart at Ohio State https://ttm.osu.edu/ride-smart
- Safety Tips http://dps.osu.edu/safety-tips
- Police Division Daily Crime Log http://dps.osu.edu/daily-crime-log
- Public Safety Notices http://dps.osu.edu/psn
For information about crime off campus, review the Columbus Police website at https://www.columbus.gov/police. Helpful links are listed as: Crime Information, Crime Prevention, Offense Reports, and Media Releases.
This Public Safety Notice is issued in compliance with the "Timely Warning" provisions of the federal Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act of 1998. 34 CFR 668.46(e)