Request a Safe Ride
A safe ride is a service provided to university students who would like safe transportation across campus. Any university student, faculty, or staff member may request a safe ride.
How to Request a Safe Ride
Phone Number: 614-292-3322
When you call, you will be asked for the following information by our dispatchers:
- Your first and last name
- Your pickup location
- Your destination
- The number of your party
- The time the escort is desired
- Your OSU "dot" number (found at the end of your OSU email address)
- When you enter the vehicle you will be asked for your BuckID. Failure to provide an ID may result in your ride being cancelled.
*Please call as early as possible, as rides are scheduled on a first-come first-serve basis. If you must cancel your ride, please do it as soon as possible to avoid violating any usage rules and to allow other students the opportunity to receive an escort.
Students will not be penalized for missing their first escort, but students who miss two scheduled escorts will be denied escort privileges for the remainder of the semester.
Service Boundaries & Rules
- North to Hudson Street
- South to Fifth Avenue
- East to Conrail railroad tracks (past North Fourth Street)
- West to North Star Road
- North boundary west of Olentangy River Road is Ackerman Road
- *Limited service to University Village is available after 12:30 a.m.
Rules of Use:
- Escort vehicles will wait a maximum of 3 minutes.
- Escorts may be made for up to 3 people total.
- Food is not permitted in the vehicle.
- Alcohol (opened or unopened) is not permitted in the vehicle.
- Escorts will drive only to the planned destination.
- Carry-on items must fit in the rider’s lap.
Hours of Operation
7 p.m. - 3 a.m., 7 Days a Week
- All rides are scheduled on the 10 minute mark. Example: A ride may be scheduled at 7:40 p.m. or 7:50 p.m., but not 7:45 p.m.
- Service Closures: Student Safety Service does not operate on any university honored holiday, or under special circumstances, during some large events on campus that require additional Department of Public Safety personnel. Please check the university's calendar for a list of holidays.
- The first ride of the night will be dispatched 20 minutes after starting operating hours, and the last escort will be dispatched 20 minutes before the end of operating hours.